What is the Telecom Plus Internet Phone Line ?
Basically, it's an extra phone line, but it has two important differences:
Firstly, it costs just £2 line rental per month (that's currently over 80% cheaper than an extra line from BT) and:
Secondly, the phone number on this line is completely portable, and can be used for making and receiving calls anywhere in the world!
It costs nothing to receive a call, and any calls you make are charged on the normal Telecom Plus Home Phone/BoadCall (including "free global calls") or Office Phone tarrifs. All that's needed to benefit from the service is a broadband connection - which doesn't even need to be supplied by Telecom Plus.
How does it work? - simple. There's no engineer visit involved, no software to install (so it's not like SKYPE, no headset to wear and no extra hassle. Just a little adaptor that you plug into your broadband router (and it must be a router), and you're away!
You plug the phone into the adaptor; the adaptor into the router; the router into the broadband socket. And that's it !
There's an initial one-off connection charge of £50 whether the customer chooses one line or two. Therefore it's much cheaper to install than a new standard phone line.
Who will benefit? (perhaps the question should be who won't benefit?)
- Families with teenage children wanting to use the phone at the same time;
- People working from home & would like a separate line for business calls;
- People who want to keep a dedicated line for elderly relatives or children for emergency calls;
- Anyone involved in a local group or club which means lots of time on the phone;
- A sole trader who wants to ensure availability when they're on another phone;
- A business person who wants to be able to answer the 'office' phone from home out of office hours;
- A partnership where both partners want to use the phone at the same time;
- A small business that is growing & needs more phones, but without high BT charges;
- People with an overseas home who would like friends to be able to call on a UK number - at UK rates - wherever they are;
- Anyone who would like to benefit from "Free Global Calls" while they are abroad. Just imagine - free calls to any number in the UK from anywhere in the World! And any calls which aren't included (like calls to mobiles) are charged at the normal low UK Home Phone, BroadCall or Office Phone rates;
- Businesses with lots of home workers; each home worker can have their own 'office' number at home;
- Each home worker can have the same area code as the main office, even if they're based in different areas or working overseas or on holiday;
- All calls are charged and detailed on the business's monthly bill - no expense claims or paperwork to deal with;
- Business people who spend time based in different locations, but want clients to be able to contact them on the same number, not a mobile, wherever they are;
- Business people who want or need to go abroad for a while, and doesn't want clients to know they are out of the country - or to have to pay international rates to speak to them.
- Sole traders who need to exhibit at conferences or exhibitions but still need to have their office phone number with them;
These are just a few examples of the uses of an internet phone line. Because the internet phone line uses the internet to carry the calls, it can be used anywhere there is a fixed broadband connection point - including many hotel rooms and holiday homes abroad.